Our Mid-Century Campus
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, dedicated in 1939, represented the first church in the St. Louis region designed in a modern style. Architects Frederick Dunn and Charles Nagel were appointed by then Bishop William Scarlett to design the building. Bishop Scarlett was notably committed to social justice issues and these themes can be seen throughout the church, and especially in the stained-glass windows. The windows were designed by Robert Harmon and executed at the Emil Frei Studios. The rectory was built in 1950-1951 after a design by Frederick Dunn. The William Scarlett Parish House was designed by Norton-Higginbotham Architects and dedicated in 1955. Powers Bowersox Associates designed an addition to provide an elevator for access for people with physical disabilities in 2010. For a more detailed story on how St. Mark’s came to be, please click here.